During the week Christopher Watson contacted us with information about the use of some of the Brigg Stones within the original fabric of Sunderland Minster which was formerly known as Bishopwearmouth Church.
A short history of the church can be found here http://www.sunderlandminster.co.uk/minster%20history.htm
The church was extensively refurbished, a new organ installed and there was more use of the space available within the church during the 1800’s, to the point where it is difficult to see the fabric of the original church. The photos within the article shed light on what it looked like and importantly showed the use of ‘voussoir’ stones to form an arch.
Christopher sent us an interesting article about the Brigg Stones:
Additionally, Christopher was able to scan and send us some us some further information from the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries (Newcastle upon Tyne) (1884 Vol.1, No 19).